Hon. Felix Kwakye Ofosu write…
THE SINOHYDRO DEAL IS A HUGE JOKE
As usual, NPP propagandists here, have in an uncritical manner,run riot with misleading claims and untruths passed on to them under a perceived pre-emptive effort to parry justified criticism of the Sinohydro deal led by Vice President Bawumia.
The following facts would however suffice:
1. In 2017, we were told there was a $2 billion jackpot by Dr Bawumia under which the Chinese firm,Sinohydro, will undertake infrastructure projects worth $ 2 billion to be paid for with sales made from refining Ghanaian bauxite.
2. Then in 2018,we were told there was $500 million AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY to construct Roads and Bridges. This amount become $640m in an EPC contract agreement brought to parliament that same year.
3. The projects under this phase were time bound and not supposed to run ad infinitum.ALL the 10 lots (phase 1) projects were scheduled to be completed by the end of 2020. As we speak, three clear years after the agreement was taken to Parliament,NOT A SINGLE one of these lots has been completed. Most of them have not even started.
4. As at the end of 2020, official figures contained in briefings sent to Parliament by government showed that less than $40m had been drawndown out of the $640m.Government now claims that they have drawn down $ 100 million which represents a paltry 15% of the $ 640 million and 5% of the entire $ 2 billion.How can this government be taken seriously with such an appalling drawdown rate?
5. The answer to questions about Sinohydro is not a list of unconstructed of roads.The answer must show that $640 million has been spent to build roads as of the end of 2020 according to specific promises made in the EPC agreement sent to Parliament.
This is actually a party that once contracted a loan from a hairdressing salon and made so much noise as though the $1 billion promised then was coming the following day.It NEVER came!